Home-->Cobra Project-->Construction-->Final Assembly

 

 

Please send your comments and suggestions to:

Email Me

Copyright 2013 by
Randy Pflanzer
Technology Professionals Consortium
All rights reserved

Ford, Shelby and Cobra are registered trademarks of the
 Ford Motor Company. LS427 Roadster is a registered
trademark of Lone Star Classics.  Randy Pflanzer and Technology Professionals Consortium are
 not connected to the holders
 of  these trademarks in
any way.

 

   What's New?
 
  02/01/13 - Reformatted web page.

 

Dashboard

In getting ready to mount the dash, I finished up some wiring behind the panel.  I chose to put all the wiring behind the panel rather than in the engine compartment or on the firewall.  I also removed some temporary supports I had cut into the panel to hold the lower edge in place during construction.  They get in the way of the panel wiring.  The three wire clips on the tunnel connect up to the back of the panel making installation and removal easy.

This is a shot of my removable relay panel.  All my wires are numbered and color coded and correspond to my wiring diagram.  That way, anyone can figure out what's going on in case I sell the car.

I made my own panels out of aircraft aluminum.  This is a test fit of everything just to make sure it all goes together properly.

After covering the panel with a thin layer of foam and leather, I installed the instruments, lights, and switches.  All the wire is secured with wax cord and waterproof connectors.

Here's the final product.  It works flawlessly.

Door Sills

The fiberglass parts from Lone Star for the interior sills did not fit well enough for me.  So I purchased a product called Maxxion Board.  It's kind of like a thin PVC sheet that you can heat and mold and glue together.  After some trial parts, I determined that I needed some forms to help me mold the parts to get the right curves.  I used some plywood to cut out the profiles I needed.

Using the form and then cutting slits in the edge, I was able to mold a part that fit perfectly.  You can't see it, but I used some smaller pieces to reinforce this part on the inside.  They are easy to glue up using regular PVC glue from the hardware store.

Around the hinge, I am using three parts.  The round tube was bent around a mold and the forward flat piece holds everything in place and is bolted to the metal framework.

I eventually glued the round tube to the sill part with reinforcements.  Here they are after they have been carpeted.

For me, I thought it was a better look to extend the sill into the interior about a 1/2 inch rather than have it flush with the door sill.  It gives it a little more rounded look.  Just personal preference.

Here's a shot of the completed work.  I am very pleased with how this turned out.  I burned a lot of brain cells to get to this point but it was worth it.

Next I'll make the final interior installations and I'll be ready to go cruising.