Home-->Cobra Project-->Construction-->Body to Frame Installation

 

 

Please send your comments and suggestions to:

Email Me

Copyright 2013 by
Randy Pflanzer
Technology Professionals Consortium
All rights reserved

Ford, Shelby and Cobra are registered trademarks of the
 Ford Motor Company. LS427 Roadster is a registered
trademark of Lone Star Classics.  Randy Pflanzer and Technology Professionals Consortium are
 not connected to the holders
 of  these trademarks in
any way.

 

   What's New?
 
  02/01/13 - Reformatted web page.

 

Interior

The first thing I did was to find the right place to install the stereo speakers.  I considered multiple locations and fellow builders offered up their thoughts as well.  In the end, I decided to keep it simple and just do a flat install against the trunk wall.  The black surround piece is plywood.  It will be covered in leather by the interior guy.  The rest of the rear firewall will be covered in carpet.

I gave a lot of thought to the layout of the interior.  In the end, my wife convinced me to keep the interior more true to the original car and stay simple.  I had thought about painted fiberglass and wood inlays but unlimited decided to keep it more simple.  In this picture, I had to install a permanent plywood piece about 3/4" thick to get the right height for the brake boot to fit properly.  

Next up I built a center console.  This sets back from the front face of the instrument panel.  It will be covered in leather.

The final part of the center console is this three part plywood piece that will be covered in leather.  I glued and glassed the three pieces together to make one part.  The carpet will come up the side of the tunnel and the leather will sit on top.

While I was in the area of the transmission, I decided to roll my own on the shifter.  I used some cardboard to mock up a couple of different versions.  I sat in the car and kept adjusting the mock up until I got the right hand positioned comfortably.  I then had to angle the shifter so it emerged from the tunnel in the center of the ring.  Once the shape was finalized, I cut a couple of parts from some scrap steel plate.

After welding, grinding, and sanding, this is the part I ended up with.  I went to the local hardware store and bought a couple of bolts for the top to mount the handle to.  It all worked out pretty good.

Next step I cut out a couple of sheets of aluminum to make up the instrument and switch panels.  I used some construction paper to mock up the shapes and then cut the sheets with my sabre saw.  The mounting holes were a guess after looking at pictures of finished cars.

After figuring out the layout of the switch panel, I decided to locate all my small electrical parts in this box.  I painted it white to make it easier to see once the car is all assembled.  What I have in here are the bright light unit, dimmer for the LEDs, and all the relays.  The three holes align with holes in the tunnel for the incoming wires from the trunk and engine compartment.

Here's the front of the panel.  This will be covered in leather and I have some custom engraved switch panels for each switch.  You'll have to wait for the Final Assembly section to see the finished product.

On the instrument layout, I tried to keep it somewhat traditional.  I also wanted to avoid my tendency to make it look symmetrical.  Also, I wanted to leave room for a glove box although I am undecided at this point whether to add one.

With the layout completed, it was just a matter of using my circle cutter carefully to cut out the holes.  One bad cut can ruin the whole panel so care and patience are the order of the day.

Here's a shot of the panel with the Autometer gauges installed.  I also went non-traditional on the location of the turn signal and bright light locations.  There's a trim ring that will go around the steering column so I didn't have enough space to mount the lights in the center of the column.  So I decided to split them on either side.  The bright light indicator is located where there's an open space that is unobstructed by the handles on the steering column.

Next up was to make room on the fiberglass panel for the aluminum one.  I cut out open spaces for the clusters while trying to leave enough in place to support the bottom edge adequately.  The openings around the mounting locations are to support the use of nut clips.

That finishes up the interior work for now.  I have more interior work to do but it will have to wait until after the body comes back from the painter.  Next up is to get all the remaining body work completed and prepped for the painter.  That work will show up as updates to existing sections of the construction log so this is probably the end of the construction phase.  It's on to paint!